With the maturity and widely availability, not to mention the cost of cloud storage these days, almost all organisations will looking at embracing a cloud based file server back and moving away from their on-prem solutions. Lets quickly look at the pro and cons of cloud based backup in a general sense.
Pros of Cloud Backup Service
- Secured and safe way of backing up data on a remote data storage
- Access to your data from anywhere
- In the most of the plans backup is cheap
- Inbuilt disaster recovery facility
- Data backup can be automated
- No need to worry about maintenance of hardware and software infrastructure or running out of capacity
Cons of Cloud Backup Service
- Usually high Internet channel is needed, i.e. upstream
- Your data is stored on third party servers, if something will be wrong with them or your provider will close the service, then you need to worry about your data
- Most of the Cloud Backup service providers charge based on data backed up. So, if you have more data, then you will be charged more.